The story of Cadenheads date back to 1842 and begins in Aberdeen. The company of William Cadenheads Limited was founded in 1842 which was a Wine and Spirit merchant. The premises remained in the hands of the Cadenhead family until J & A Mitchell & Co Ltd bought the firm.
William Cadenhead first join the family run business in 1958 where he eventually took over and remained until his death in 1908. His Nephew, Robert Duthie took over the business after his passing and quickly got to work by bringing the famous Cadenheads Whisky and Demerara Rum to light and advertising on buses and around towns with the slogan 'By test the Best'.