In 1758 a man named Jose Antonio de Curevo y Valdes was given a writ of land ownership by King Fernand VI to plant and harvest Agave for use in Tequila. However the license to produce and distribute Tequila was not granted until 1795 by King Carlos IV to Jose Maria Guadalupe Cuervo y Montana.
La Rojena Distillery is where Jose Cuervo was produced and this was first started in 1812 and it has continued here ever since. By 1852 the Cuervo Tequila made its way in Barrel form to California. The Jose Cuervo brand has received numerous awards along the years and was the first Tequila to bottled individually which helped for transport.