Chairmans Rum legacy dates back to the 1930's when the Barnard family first established themselves as distillers in St. Lucia. They used the sugar that was produced there and the Rum trade was booming up until all the sugar plantations closed. From this Laurie Barnard toom it upon himself to restore the former glory of the St. Lucia Rum and produced Chairmans Reserve Rum.
With the final Sugar plantation closure in 1960 the molasses which Plantation used had been depleted, and so they moved to using British Guyana and have stuck by this since. With this change it has allowed them to ensure that they always have a supply for production!